Landlord Safety Checks
The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 will apply to new tenancies from 1st July 2020 and to existing tenancies from 1st April 2021.
The new regulations require landlords to ensure that all electrical installations in their rental properties are inspected and tested by a qualified person at least every five years.
Reports of each inspection must be supplied to all tenants of the property within 28 days of the inspection, and retained by the landlord until the next inspection takes place.
Breaches of the regulations could result in financial penalties of up to £30,000.
Electrical Inspections and tests
Under the regulations, landlords need to ensure the following:
- Electrical safety standards are met during any period when the residential premises are occupied by a specified tenancy.
- Every electrical installation in the residential premises is inspected and tested by a qualified person at regular intervals of at least every five years, or more often if specified in an inspection report.
- The first inspection and testing is carried out either before a tenancy starts for new tenancies or by 1st April 2021 for existing tenancies.
Distribution and retention of reports
Following inspection and testing, landlords will be required to:
- Obtain a report from the person who conducted the inspection and test, which gives the results and the date of the next inspection and test.
- Supply a copy of the report to each existing tenant of the property within 28 days of the inspection and test.
- Supply a copy of the most recent report to any new tenant to which the report will apply before the tenant moves in and any prospective tenant within 28 days of receiving a written request for it.
- Supply a copy of the report to the local housing authority within 7 days of receiving a written request for it. Keep a copy of the report until the next inspection and test is due and give a copy of it to the person who is carrying out the next inspection and test.
GIVE AS A CALL NOW FOR A QUICK FREE QUOTE NOW
Investigative or remedial work
If, after an inspection and test, the report requires further investigative or remedial work to be carried out, the landlord must do the following:
- Ensure that further investigative or remedial work is carried out by a qualified person within 28 days, or the period specified in the report if it’s less than 28 days.
- Obtain written confirmation from a qualified person that the further investigative or remedial work has been carried out and whether the electrical safety standards have been met or if further investigative or remedial work is required.
- Supply that written confirmation, together with a copy of the original report which required the further investigative or remedial work, to each existing tenant of the property within 28 days of the further investigative or remedial work being completed.
- Supply that written confirmation, together with a copy of the report which required further investigative or remedial work, to the local housing authority within 28 days of completion of the further investigative or remedial work.
Book your inspections
Work With Group are fully qualified in electrical work and are available to inspect properties for landlords and will be able to provide documentation when this legislation comes into place.
Contact the team to find out how we can help you.
We understand that keeping up to date with your property management can be difficult and that is why we are proud to work alongside Bruce & Simpson Property Management.
Bruce & Simpson take the work out of your hands so you do not need to worry about any aspect of property management. From initial investment sourcing to tenant finding and ongoing management, Sandie and the team can help all landlords.
As with any property managed by Bruce & Simpson Property Management Ltd, we constantly make sure all paperwork is correct and up to date to follow current laws and legislation, making your life less stressful and leaving only the matter of seeing your investments grow down to you.
A One-Stop Shop
- Bruce & Simspon Property Management Ltd
- Work With Wire
- Work With Gas