The Importance Of Gas Appliance Servicing
There’s no denying it, as much as we hate to admit, those dark nights are coming and the weather is getting bleaker (did we even get a summer?!). Autumn is well and truly here and although it may not be considered the most exciting of subjects, now is the time you really need to be thinking of your gas appliance servicing.
In this post, we’re going to give you a whistle-stop tour of the importance of servicing, how it can save you money, what should be serviced in your home or place of work, and the process involved.
You may have seen our recent facebook post, the expansion vessel on a combi boiler had rotten away and we fixed a new system. The worst part about it – it was only discovered when water poured from the kitchen ceiling from the room above which housed the boiler – read on to help understand how vital servicing really is.
3 Reasons Gas Maintenance Is Important
- Health & Safety – There is nothing more important than the wellbeing of your family, friends and loved ones. If something is not working correctly with your gas appliances there are numerous dangers that could occur from gas leaks, fires or water escaping. Keeping a regular check on your systems helps to prevent these.
- It will save you money – Making sure your boiler is serviced and other systems are running efficiently means less wastage of energy and savings for you.
- Efficient systems mean energy is put to better use – heating your home and water. Running more efficiently means better quality and it is good for the environment too.
These are just 3 main reasons. There are others too, the Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering give further advice.
Which Gas Appliances Need Servicing?
You may just think boiler servicing is the only appliance that needs regular attention. Unfortunately, this is wrong. As a homeowner, you should be ensuring that all gas appliances (including but not limited to boilers, cookers, hobs and heaters), flues and pipework are serviced annually. This is the only way you can be sure that they are safe in your home.
If anything is wrong, a gas engineer can advise you. If you are regular in your servicing, you can have peace of mind that everything is in working order and running as it should be.
Who Can Carry Out A Gas Service?
No matter what you are having serviced, it is important that you only let a gas safe registered engineer carry out work on your gas appliances. You can check if an engineer is registered via the Gas Safe website. A registered engineer will always carry their gas safe badge with them too.
GIVE AS A CALL NOW FOR A QUICK FREE QUOTE NOW
Is Gas Appliance Servicing A Legal Requirement?
If you are a domestic household, no. However, it is advisable.
If you are a landlord, it is a legal requirement to have a gas service on each gas appliance in each property annually.
The Gas Servicing Checklist
There are many types of gas appliances and systems, and each can be reviewed in its own way depending on the type of system and fittings. However, typically a gas service will include:
- Checking all seal to ensure they are up to standard
- Ensuring all controls are working on an appliance
- Reviewing all components
- Checking flues and combustion releases
- Reviewing pressure and gas flows throughout the system
- The pipework and water is all working ok
- All electrical connections work
- Adequate safety devices are present and correct
This list is not all-encompassing, rather common points to be checked. A registered gas engineer can confirm details with you on each job.
How Much Does A Gas Service Cost?
Again, this depends on the number of appliances and service types that are required. A typical example would be an annual boiler service. This can cost in the region of £60 to £100 depending on the model and type of boiler.
When to get your gas appliances serviced
Now is always the perfect time, particularly if it is over a year since your appliances were last serviced.
Early autumn is an ideal time to be getting this job ticked off. Think about it, we’re on the run-up to winter and the temperatures are only going to be going one way. Your systems will be feeling more and more pressure over the next 5-6months. Making sure they are running correctly will make them more efficient, save you even more money over the winter months and give you peace of mind.
Don’t delay, make sure your gas appliance servicing is up to date by contacting Work With Group today. We’re qualified in gas and electrical work and can offer free consultations and quotes.
100% Customer satisfaction rate. Why not check out our Facebook & Google reviews
A One-Stop Shop
We pride ourselves on being a one stop shop as we offer the entire gas & electric package
We offer free consultations and quotes for services! Feel free to call us today to book up now
- Bruce & Simspon Property Management Ltd
- Work With Wire
- Work With Gas